Usually after moving to a new place it takes a while to figure out where to get the best prices on different things. Sometimes it takes a long while to simply find things. Groceries are no exception. Prices of groceries do not fluctuate too wildly, but it does help to know the best places to shop.
In Korea, there are generally about 4 sizes of food stores. They are (biggest to smallest): super markets, grocery stores, marts, and convenience stores.
- Super markets have everything that you might need; from groceries to appliances, they’ve got it.
- Grocery stores are more prevalent than super markets, with a wide selection of food as well as some kitchen supplies.
- A mart is just a step lower than a grocery store, with a pretty good selection of daily necessities and kitchen supplies.
- Convenience stores are smallest and most prevalent, with a smaller range of food (mostly snacks and quick food).
This is not a comprehensive list of the grocery stores in Jochiwon, but it should be a great start.
1. Home Plus: This is the best place to buy groceries. The prices are great, and the selection is wide. The only problem is that it is located on the outskirts of town, and to make your trip worth while it is better to use a car or take a taxi. Home Plus has both groceries and home supplies.
2. Chinjeol Mart: Chinjeol Mart is a great little grocery store that is located in the Ook-il Apartment complex. It has a pretty good selection of groceries and produce as well. The prices here are also pretty low compared to convenience stores and the other nearby marts.
3. Hana Mart: Hana Mart is smaller than Chinjeol Mart, and it has a pretty good selection of your basic Korean groceries. Be careful when walking through this store as it is very cramped.
4. Korea Mart: This shop is also located in the Ook-il apartment complex. If you can’t find something at Chinjeol Mart, check here.
5. Haengbok Mart: Haengbok (happy) Mart is located in the same building as the Megabox movie theater. This store is quite large and has a wide selection of Korean groceries. It is a great choice if you are on the East side of the railroad tracks.
6. Hanaro Mart: Hanaro Mart is the Grocery store associated with the NongHyeop (agricultural) Bank. Many rural towns in Korea have a NH (NongHyeop) Bank, and a Hanaro Mart attached to it. Hanaro Mart has a selection of goods that almost entirely originates in Korea.
7. Roma Super: Roma is between a convenience store and a mart in terms of size. This a small shop near the stream where you should be able to find simple foods.
8. Chakhan Mart: This shop is just north of the stream. If you live in this neighborhood it would be good to check it out.
9. Chakhan Mart (different): Here is another shop with the same name; many marts in Korea use the names “happy”, “friendly”, and “kindness”. This Mart is located near the library; if you need a study break, have a look.
Since Jochiwon is constantly expanding, so may this article.