Jeon is the Korean version of a savory pancake. It’s really simple to make and so good to eat. One of my favourite versions is this kimchijeon from Maangchi. However, sometimes you want something without the spice and that’s where pajeon comes in. Pa means green onion and the following vegetarian recipe (many versions include shrimp, but I’m not a seafood person) incorporates that wonderful vegetable.
Below, I’ve listed buckwheat flour as an ingredient. Buckwheat flour is gluten-free and a vegan option for this recipe. However, you can use regular wheat flour instead, or even a mix of buckwheat and wheat flour. Also, if you need a gluten-free or vegan dish, make sure you use the appropriate soy sauce.
Savory Pancake with Green Onion
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp soy sauce
- 1 cup water
- 15-20 green onions, washed and finely sliced (cut them into fourths, then slice finely)
- ½ cup kale, washed and finely sliced
- ½ cup red cabbage, washed and finely chopped (discard any very thick pieces, as they won’t soften properly)
- Vegetable oil
- Salt for seasoning
Preparation and cooking time: around 1.5 hours
- Mix the flour, sugar, soy sauce, salt and water together to form a paste.
- Stir in the vegetables.
- Heat some oil in a large frying pan on medium heat (use enough oil to coat the bottom of the pan)
- Dollop three spoonfuls of the mixture into the pan and flatten slightly. Each dollop should be spaced away from each other to make three small pancakes. Press down on them with your spatula.
- Cook each pancake until nicely browned on the bottom and a little crispy. Flip the pancakes and brown the other side, pressing down as needed.
- Once cooked, transfer to a plate and lightly season with some salt.
- Repeat steps 4-6, adding more oil as needed.
- Eat right away with the below dipping sauce, or allow to cool and save for breakfast or lunch the next day.
(from Kye Kim’s Modern Korean Cooking)
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- ½ tbsp sugar
- ½ tbsp rice vinegar
Preparation and cooking time: less than a minute
- Mix all the ingredients together.
- Set aside until ready to use.